The Youth Rhinoplasty | Manhattan, New York
To improve the cosmetic appearance of the teen-age or young adult nose such that facial harmony is created and the face reflects your inner spirit.
Youth rhinoplasty is very similar to primary rhinoplasty surgically but there are special considerations in determining when the procedure should be done (see below).
- A nose that does not fit your face can be a cause for major psychological and social distress in a pubertal teen or young adult. Many young women with their father's nose or other masculine nasal features can suffer from significant anxiety about their self-image. This can negatively impact one's self-esteem. Youth rhinoplasty can create a more balanced appearance - a nose that is in harmony with other facial features.
- Young people have recently undergone significant changes in appearance associated with normal development, and therefore incorporate their new nose into their body image very quickly (within weeks) and easily.
- There is very little, if any, pain and usually only 12-16 days of time away from social activities.
- The surgical results will last a lifetime. Dr. Zimm not only improves the nose aesthetically, but also strengthens it where necessary to build "a nose for life".
- Dr. Zimm creates an individualized plan for each person resulting in a natural looking nose that’s gender, age, and ethnically appropriate.
- It is important you know specifically what you would like to have improved about your nose, and can communicate this clearly so that the best result can be achieved.
- No surgery should be undertaken lightly, so it is very important to be sure you have thought about rhinoplasty enough to be sure it is what you want to do.
- As a teen or young adult you may need your parent's consent to have the procedure performed. Dr. Zimm and his staff are pleased to explain all the details to you and your parents so that, together, you can make the best decision for you.
- Improvement, not perfection, needs to be accepted, so courage and a degree of realism is necessary on your part.
- Even in the best surgical hands and with a good patient, a small percentage of patients may require a revision, and you must be prepared for this possibility in making your decision. Not every nose can be made "perfect".
- You must have completed your growth before proceeding to rhinoplasty. For young women, this is usually at least one year after their menarche or first menstrual period. Also there should be very little, if any, growth in height in the previous year.
- Another consideration is the level of your maturity. Some teens can be quite focused, responsible, stable and mature at a young age, whereas others may take longer to reach this state.
- It is always an easier decision to proceed if you have been unhappy with your nose for an extended period of time, rather than just recently.
- For dependent teens or young adults, parental opinion and influence must be accommodated in deciding whether and when to proceed.
- Some young women can be good candidates as young as 15 or 16 years of age, whereas young men are usually one or two years older due to their later growth spurt. Occasionally, the procedure can be done at a younger age if all the appropriate criteria are met.
- Youth rhinoplasty takes two or three hours usually. You can go home the same day and are up and about the next day.
- Good friends or family can be seen right away for socializing, but about two weeks are necessary for most of the bruising and swelling to settle and the nose to appear normal enough that it does not look operated.
- Full aerobic activities at three weeks and contact sports at six weeks.
- The last little bit of tip refinement can take up to a year, depending on skin thickness.
Post Op Instructions