What’s So Special About Kybella® - Facts you need to know
Dear Dr. Zimm,
I have (what some would say) a turkey neck. Recently, a friend told me about Kybella® and I wanted to learn more about it. Can you shine some light on this for me?
Thank you for your inquiry; and yes, I’m happy to share some facts you should know if you’re considering being treated:
- It’s non-surgical: Kybella® is a non-surgical method of getting rid of your turkey neck. It is the only FDA approved injectable that contours your neck and gets rid of the submental, i.e., under-the-chin fat.
- How it works: Kybella® is comprised of deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that helps break down dietary fat. When injected, it causes destruction of fat cells that don’t grow back.
- What’s involved: Your Kybella® procedure will typically require 2-4 treatments spaced roughly 6 weeks apart. Each treatment takes about 15-20 minutes in the office and the actual injections take about five minutes.
- Knowing if it’s for you: If you have good skin tone and elasticity, and mostly fat under the chin rather than just loose skin, then you’re an ideal candidate for Kybella®.
- Recovery time: There will be some swelling in the area of treatment that will typically max out within 24 hours. There may also be some minor bruising (from the injection) and mild soreness in the treated area. We suggest that you avoid exercise for 48 to 72 hours after your treatment.
- Dr. Zimm
This is only a guide and is not a guarantee of results. This article is for your entertainment only and is not being given as medical advice. Always consult your personal physician on any medical matters.